One of the most commonly prescribed supplements by physios is Magnesium. In this post we examine: What is it good for, why you need a practitioner grade product and how to know you may be deficient.
Magnesium is an important macromineral, which plays a role in over 300 enzymatic reactions- including the metabolism of vitamin D. Studies have shown beneficial effects on anxiety and stress, as well as positive relationships with physical function in older adults (along with zinc, selenium and iron). Low magnesium intake is associated in epidemiological studies with high blood pressure, osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes.
Magnesium levels are difficult to measure with blood testing. Serum levels of magnesium remain within normal limits, even if body tissues are magnesium depleted. It is often said that most people can benefit from supplemental magnesium, as we simply don’t absorb enough through diet alone. Dietary sources of magnesium include: green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds & whole grains.
Signs that you may need to supplement with magnesium include:
– you take Proton Pump inhibitors such as nexium (even if you’ve been on these for a few years)
– You have a high caffeine intake
– You take caltrate for bones or consume lots of dairy with minimal green veg (this throws the calcium-magnesium balance out)
– High urine output.
– Conditions including: Type 2 diabetes, anxiety, asthma, migraines, tension headaches, insomnia, cardiac arrhythmias, dysmenorrhea (especially cramping), chronic pain, poor stress tolerance, sensitivity or restless legs. Tinnitus can potentially be helped with good quality supplementation also.
– Recurrent bacterial infections or fungal infections.
– Intense exercise
– Pregnancy and breastfeeding
At our Cairns physiotherapy clinic, we stock Bioceuticals practitioner grade supplements. Unlike lesser quality magnesium supplements, these use easily absorbable forms of magnesium such as MG orotate, citrate, amino acid chelate and gluconate, in formulations which reduce the risk of diarrhoea or tummy upsets. Bioceuticals Ultra Muscleze powder and P5P tablets contain B vitamins to assist with the actions of magnesium. Ultra Muscleze Night is a cult product which contains Lactium, shown in trials to reduce symptoms of stress. Why not call in to pick up your products and talk to one of our friendly team soon?